WARNING Rootkit virus embedded in video via comment spam
DO NOT PLAY THE VIDEO.
The video contains a Windows rootkit virus that'll steal your personal info.
Known accounts that generate these spammy malware comments:
- 1310ardfey 108 comments posted
- aldovid 98 comments posted
- analiseacalo 93 comments posted
- bolvul 86 comments posted
- golubcavav 98 comments posted
- hofmannfuvuw 119 comments posted
- jonmeino 95 comments posted
- justiczjatu 95 comments posted
- mafirusii0 86 comments posted
- marowov570 86 comments posted
- meratee05250 97 comments posted
- milburrujyvy 116 comments posted
- millfordiqy 100 comments posted
- ngpase 106 comments posted
- omne807 98 comments posted
- owenddhd 99 comments posted
- proplasmoc 92 comments posted
- rjwoily 99 comments posted
- symanuvawe 80 comments posted
- veatorecu 122 comments posted
( Instructions with screencaps behind cut... )
Alternate link to report a bot:
Alternate link to ban a user:
SOURCE: [Warning] Serious rootkit virus spreading in LJ comments by luma_chan
- THU, 12:20: The one where Daniel has something besides coffee in his mug.
- THU, 12:22: The one where Sam has a Liberal Arts moment.
- THU, 12:22: The one where Vala & Jack share a private joke.
- THU, 12:45: Vala's birthday gifts to Daniel will become some rather ~interesting "fishing lures" from now on. ;D
- THU, 12:50: #Stargate FANVID "Echo" by scifi_tv_addict Daniel/Vala
- THU, 16:22: #Stargate Daniel, find me an anthropologist that dresses like this and I will eat this headdress.
- THU, 18:16: @shakespherical This Christina Perry song goes really well with your D/V fic.
- THU, 21:01: Shadow Dance by shakespherical Daniel/Vala rated R with nude manip by eilidh17 all for magnavox_23
- THU, 21:03: @shakespherical holy awesome I put "Woodhenge" in the location & IT WORKS WHEN U CLICK THRU
- THU, 21:08: @eilidh17 Now I can FINALLY open my D/V gift!!!
- THU, 21:16: RT @MargaretAtwood: Neanderthal dwelling constructed of bones
- THU, 22:09: mmmm It's a PERVING PARTY Y'ALL TooDamnPretty on Dreamwidth
- THU, 22:27: @magnavox_23 Image #6 is missing. :(
- THU, 23:05: Oral Traditions by eilidh17 NC-17 Daniel/Vala fanfic & manips #awesome #fruitcake #porn
- THU, 23:40: @jgem87 I'm in the middle of leaving feedback for eilidh17 then I'm going to hit the sack & look at all the other dv_exchange gifts 2mrw.
- FRI, 00:32: Don't be sad, Daniel. We'll put you in some fluffy crack fic to balance all that angst. #Stargate #DanielJackson
- FRI, 11:39: *sporfle* "Gud Jul! Pardon, mein Herr, I vas meanink to goose back of pants, not front."
- THU, 13:22: RT @casness: Note to #livejournal users. Livejournal changed the setting for customized comment page to be off. Change it back to rid o ...
- THU, 13:24: igrick, you arrogant fuckhead, what in the butt fucked hell are you thinking? @LiveJournal
- THU, 13:30: Anyone who thinks @LiveJournal's latest changes are no big deal is ignoring all the warning signs of a company that's destroying itself.
- THU, 14:27: Editing @LiveJournal comments is now available for all account levels
- THU, 14:30: "S2 commenting style that mimics display of prev S1 commenting pages... aiming to have available within a few weeks"
- THU, 14:43: 18 major usability issues in Release 88. Only 2 bug fixes in Release 88.2
- THU, 14:50: Hope this is false: "reports from friends that @LiveJournal auto-enabled account payments on some of their accounts"
- THU, 14:53: RT @justanotherjen: @campyspornshack @LiveJournal happened to people on my flist-- #verified
- THU, 15:32: REBLOG: IMPORTANT RELEASE 88 INFORMATION
- THU, 16:25: RT @LiveJournal: An update on Release 88-- The LJ Team
- THU, 17:27: RT @AO3_Status: The recent changes to LJ have caused some problems with the importer on the #AO3 - we have a fix, but it will take a lit ...
- THU, 22:52: I'm vain enough to have cyber-squatted "campylobactor" & "campyspornshack" on LJ for when ppl can't remember how to spell my regular pseud.
- THU, 16:26: RT @dreamwidth: Hey all, Twitter is *very* hard for us to answer your questions. Please open a support request or comment in dw_news ins ...
- THU, 22:12: I still have an import pending; I started it yesterday. DW did say that they had 1200 jobs in their import queue, so I'll cut 'em some slack...
- FRI, 10:31: I LOVE THAT LAYOUT YOU'RE USING ON YOUR DREAMWIDTH
Hey all. As you may or may not know, Livejournal rolled out Release 88 on the 20th, which changed the default commenting structure, created visible icons lists, and removed subject lines, previewing comments, and spellcheck, among other things. If you are using a custom layout/S2 layout, this currently does not apply to you, but it DOES apply to communities which rely on default S1-style comment pages. There are nearly 10,000 angry comments at lj_releases and nearly 2,000 angry comments at news. This is big stuff.
ETA: CLICK HERE FOR THE MOST RECENT POST AT news.
In any case, here are some things that may help you:
IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON:
LJ's most recent update removed features (subject lines, ability to preview, spellcheck) that are crucial to the existence of some LJ communities. The new "expand" line is laggy and caused certain builds of Firefox and Chrome to be unable to post. Bright colors and new font hurt readability, cause headaches (I have one!), and prevent blind users from using text-to-speech programs. The cherry on top is the head of LJ Russia igrick's rude and dismissive attitude towards both English AND Russian-speaking users. CLICK HERE TO READ HIS TRANSLATED COMMENTS.
IF YOU WANT YOUR SUBJECT LINE BACK:
Well, ain't gonna happen... yet. According to the newest update on lj_releases, there will be a S2 style available that "mimics the original/previous S1 commenting pages". How long will this take? Apparently "within a few weeks". Note that S2 styles are NOT available to users with free accounts. If you disagree with this change, go to the update page and let the LJ staff know!
CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION
IF YOUR CUSTOM COMMENT PAGE HAS BEEN DISABLED:
To change back custom comment pages: Go to the "Customize Journal Style" page, then click "Display" under "Customize Your Theme". Under "Presentation">"Basic Options", find "Disable customized comment pages for your journal" and select NO. Save changes and you will have your comment page back to normal. You may have to do this more than once. Some users reported that selecting YES first, saving, and THEN selecting NO worked for them.
IF YOU CAN NOW EDIT COMMENTS WHEN YOU COULDN'T BEFORE:
This is because LJ has now given ALL users the ability to edit comments, REGARDLESS of the status of the account. However, you lose the ability to edit your comment once someone has replied to it. If your comment has been screened, you cannot edit it to fix it. Source: news
IF YOU USE AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS FOR YOUR ACCOUNT:
If you have turned off automatic payments on your account, PLEASE GO CHECK TO SEE IF AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS HAVE BEEN RE-ENABLED. SERIOUSLY. GO HERE. Please post in this thread if you have had your automatic payment re-enabled.
IF YOU WANT TO SIGN A PETITION:
There is a petition for LJ to rollback the update HERE. You may also be interested in an LJ usage poll HERE by rollback88. Spread it around!
IF YOU WANT AN ALTERNATIVE TO LIVEJOURNAL:
Dreamwidth currently has open registration until the end of 2011. No add code necessary! Just sign up here! You can also import your LJ but there will be a VERY long wait.
InsaneJournal does not require an add code to register an account. Make an account here!
JournalFen's account registration is still closed, although it may open back up in the future!
That's all I can think of for right now. Please repost this or otherwise link back here. Show as many people as you can! Thank you!
PS: Note from me, campylobacter: I would actually prefer that fandom mass-migrate to WordPress, because it functions better than most all blogging platform available. However, its user interface looks nothing like LJ, DW, IJ, or JF.
eilidh17 and magnavox_23 have started a new members-only LiveJournal community for Stargate graphics fanworks with a mature/adult rating: sg_delights
Photo manipulations, digital art & traditional art WELCOME. All characters, pairings (het, slash, poly) WELCOME. Artists and appreciators of erotic artwork WELCOME.
i can haz Janet solo? Jack/Thor? Ba'al/Sam? Jennifer/Ronon? Jack/Daniel/Vala? Teal'c/Cam? Elizabeth/Teyla? Adria/Daniel? John/Rodney? Aw heck, if there's at least partial nudity involving anyone, I'm there.
Click to JOIN
sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights sg_delights
Fandom's slowly migrating to Tumblr, Twitter & Facebook, which, although easy to use & immediately gratifying, are poor platforms for richer content & in-depth multi-threaded discussions. I don't want to abandon what I've worked hard to build here, but other blogging platforms such as Wordpress are looking like much better alternatives.
Originally posted by oceanplexian at lj_maintenance under Planned site-wide downtime
LiveJournal will be unavailable for up to three hours starting at the following times, Wednesday, October 5. During this time, LJ might be unreachable, slow, or experience issues loading. This will affect all services, including LJ Talk & Scrapbook.
03:30 PM PST
04:30 PM MST
06:30 PM EST
The purpose of this downtime is to install new core routers, upgrade other network devices, and add more Internet uplinks to our primary datacenter. I expect the real downtime to be much shorter then stated above, but unforeseen problems could require up to three hours.
- (<lj like> tag): do not warn if vkontakte_conf is absent
- LJ-like: important changes in styles
- Wrong number of people who like the photo
- Wed, 13:17: NGL, I would Mary Sue myself into Osiris' shoes in this scene. http://j.mp/jocJuL
- Wed, 13:24: I remember "5 Camels for the Colonel"! That was cute and quite funny. Nice to re-read it for the Jack/Daniel squee . http://j.mp/lMAfoN
- Wed, 16:49: Aw, sweet little story! Love Ba'al & Sam's banter about the underwear drawer. I envy the folks outside North America … http://j.mp/jwX69n
- Wed, 18:23: RT @wezen_ball: Jeopardy really did just have this exchange: "What is Constantinople?" "No." "What is Istanbul?" "Yes." @tmbg
- Wed, 18:50: Plumber. Flowers. Candygram? http://j.mp/jToGDS
- Wed, 18:55: RT @wilw: Ah, as a Kings fan, this is a familiar feeling.
- Wed, 19:00: RT @JESSIMTV: A #canucks fan just led the entire bar in prayer. I'm not a religious person, but amen.
- Wed, 19:08: OMG Neil Patrick Harris KILLED IT! Fabulous! http://j.mp/j9fK32
- Wed, 19:39: Congrats on your story! I haven't even started mine, because the deadline for my stargate_summer Big Bang is, … http://j.mp/lAjRk2
- Wed, 19:43: Note to self: Do not track #Canucks tag for Cup news. #iHazASad
So, campylobacter , your LiveJournal reveals…
You are… 0% unique, 16% peculiar, 50% interesting, 21% normal and 13% herdlike (partly because you, like everyone else, enjoy science fiction). When it comes to friends you are popular. In terms of the way you relate to people, you are keen to please. Your writing style (based on a recent public entry) is conventional.
Your overall weirdness is: 22
(The average level of weirdness is: 28.
You are weirder than 50% of other LJers.)
Guess I'd better stop ReTweeting and Reblogging content if I wanna be unique! ;D
[via ivanolix 's meme]
The good thing about allowing anonymous comments is that I get to
The bad thing about an Open Journal is that spambots parasitize my SERP placement.
The bad thing about allowing anonymous comments is comment spam. Spammers' latest tactic is using the LJ email notification system to get around the "suspicious comment" screening; they post any random text (regardless of what language it's in) and sneak in a link to their spammy website that does NOT show up on your LJ because there's no anchor text, but DOES show up in your email.
They assume I'm gonna click it? SERIOUSLY? WTF? Do they get pay-per-click impressions? Or does merely visiting their spam site install malware on your computer?
I'm curious to know why you've been trolling spiletta42 for years.
Your latest stunt is so pathetic, it'd be Fandom-Wank amusing if it weren't so repetitive, disruptive, destructive & batfuck insane.
- You opened an account named izzy96 on 12 May 2011.
- You opened an account named morgan661 on 13 May 2011.
- You Photoshopped a fake screengrab of stop_plagiarism , inserting moderator hoppytoad79 's icon and username into a baseless accusation of spiletta42 stealing a story from FanFiction.net, when it's
probably eitherone of your oldsocks or one of her pseudonyms. (The actual plagiarist is YOU.)
- As izzy96 , you posted a link of your "artwork" to gategirlsdaily in 2 entries, which I saw immediately because I follow that comm, and which were so off-topic, they got deleted before they were an hour old. (my screengrabs: "Urgent Signal Boost" & "Amanda Tapping Naked")
- You posted the same thing titled "Untitled Buffy/Spike Fic, NC-17" to buffy_fanfic , using a bait-and-switch tactic. This makes you credible how? (screengrab)
- Ditto an entry titled "THIS IS AWESOME" to het_reccers (screengrab)
- And your final mistake, posting a fake moderator entry titled "Mod Post, Please Read" to femme_fic , which didn't fool anybody, because goldjadeocean remembers the "Plagiarism-claiming hacking troll in the dungeon?" incident from 11 Nov 2008 reported by misscam . Using morgan661 to leave socktastic comments was also a dead giveaway.
- UPDATE sockpuppet izzy96 posted "Fic Warnings!" (trigger complaint) at sam_and_jack (screengrab)
- UPDATE sockpuppet izzy96 posted a "Warning!" against gay porn at scarecrow_king (screengrab)
- UPDATE irony_rocks of het_reccers posted "Admin Post - Anti-gay posts BANNED"
- UPDATE spiletta42 answers the allegations and takes a stand against your bullying.
- UPDATE sockpuppet izzy96 has added sj_everyday to its Communities list, so stay tuned?
- UPDATE 18 May: troll creates account endspam to harass lolmac & other LJ members
So why stir shit again, 3 years later? Don't you have anything better to do than grudge-wank?
PS: How did I find out where else you'd posted your grudge-wank against spiletta42 ? Your sockpuppet izzy96 listed the comms you trolled in its user profile.
PPS: Your anonymous comment's IP addresses: 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 (Proxy: Suspected network sharing device)
In lj_maintenance they're all "Oops we changed some stuff haha too bad the site's been slow."
So someone asks WTF happened to my layout?
But no one on LJ's staff replies.
And then in news they're all "LOL we changed ur nav bar and didn't tell you until we'd done it."
click to enlarge
Also, spam account celimood is still active, even though I'm hoping its abuse report count went up because I asked my F-List to report it.
If all my fandom friends weren't here on LJ, I'd be on WordPress.
Yeah, thought so. celimood has been plaguing me with comment spam.
Now go here to Report a Bot and
THANK YOU. :)
I am so frelling behind on some of my favorite fandom activities:
- finishing my stargate_summer Big Bang story, due in a few weeks
- reading fanfic rec'd to me
- leaving feedback for fanfic I've read
- posting about the next phase of the daniel_vala Layout Contest
- nominating my favorite fanworks for the Gatefic Awards
- posting a boring update on my battle with comment spam
- polling about story length preferences
Random question: If anyone is using a variation of Flexible Squares as your LJ layout, have you noticed any random default re-setting? I think LJ has rewritten some of its core code to thwart comment spam, and inadvertently broken layouts that may have had incompatible CSS.
LiveJournal is still reeling from the recent DDoS attacks, so a few communities that I enjoy (cms_daily, alittleofboth , dustishisstory ) created DreamWidth mirrors because of LJ's instability. stargate_summer and sos_lounge have also advised members of their existing DW mirrors.
LJ is still so effed-up that my DreamWidth mirror account didn't pick up my most recent (private) entries from the export queue. I often compose drafts of future posts and set them to Private while they're in development, so it's not Super Secret stuff, it's just important, complicated stuff that needs to be backed up until it's published, e.g. daniel_vala updated Rules.
DreamWidth doesn't allow importing content from LJ communities (due to intellectual property considerations), so all that wonderful daniel_vala content (which dates back to July 2005 might be lost if the next DDoS attack or a hacking exploit or a natural disaster deletes every fucking thing or destroys backup server racks. I'm looking into a way to preserve all that content, but I don't want to piss off anyone who doesn't want DW to publish their stuff.
Via a Twitter hash tag I found an LJ post about LJ's DDoS troubles, which also points to an app that archives LJ content, but I'm not sure if it handles communities. My Windoze laptop's a brick right now due to hard drive failure; my Mac can't run an executable file until I install an emulator.
FUCK MY FANDOM LIFE. Even Tumblr has been giving me error messages.
[included in the 8 April 2011 sg1_debrief ]
2. Receive bizarre message signed "Frand [sic] and Meme" in LJ Inbox:
Dear campylobacter,3. Find automatic Virtual Gift "mimosa" in user profile
You have received a LiveJournal virtual gift from frank
The note attached to your gift reads:
"Well, it certainly was quite a trip. Thank you for joining us. Hey, why am I blowing green-striped neon yellow bubbles whenever I burp now? ... Love and kisses, Frand and Meme."
PLEASE LJ I JUST WANT TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN hummingfly67 & lc59 & some of my other peeps update their LJs because those notifs have never worked for me! FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT.
Stay away from these bastards:
- 200 Gigs (bounced my abuse report to email@example.com)
- 001 Webs (known comment spammer & spam harvester according to Project Honey Pot)
- Hyper PHP deleted the spam accounts I reported to firstname.lastname@example.org, but replaced them with link farms
- My-Place.us deleted the spam accounts I reported to email@example.com, but replaced them with link farms
- Mezoka deleted the spam accounts I reported to firstname.lastname@example.org, but replaced them with link farms
Suspect IP addresses
"It's been a pretty eventful week. We're still experiencing issues with notification delivery. Please know that we're working very hard to resolve this matter involving a third party. We'll keep you posted right here." LJ News 9 March 2011
Ya know what, LiveJournal? I have a Paid Account, so LISTEN UP. You need to stop allocating resources toward developing Facebook-type games and BE MORE PROACTIVE regarding comment spam and spambot accounts. Because THIS SHIT DON'T FLY:
Found 1 SBL listings for IPs under the responsibility of livejournal.com
02-Mar-2011 08:29 GMT
livejournal.com: Again used by botnet spammers to host
It's a complete disgrace for a blogging platform as established as LJ to be put on the Spamhaus Block List stemming from negligence in suspending spam accounts. A list of spammy LJs compiled by Spamhaus includes accounts that are still active. STILL ACTIVE. Even an idiot can tell that nnbpjwsfmad1 is a fake account.
Because my LJ allows anonymous comments, I've had to delete on average 1 comment spam every other day for the past 3 months. Before the spambots discovered that I allow anons, spammers were using LJ accounts to leave comments begging me to buy Viagra, counterfeit designer handbags, and bootleg eBooks.
The only reason I've stayed with LJ since 2003 is because of the lovely fandom communities; otherwise, I'd be chillaxin' on Wordpress, which is much more robust, user-friendly and pro-active in preventing comment spam.
Source: informed discussion by pw201 on LJ's spam issues
subject: LJ Paid Account Extension
(the following is an anonymous gift)
6 months of paid account time have been added to your LiveJournal account
I owe some awesome anonymouse a heaping bushel porn! Or genfic. Or a nude manip of John Sheppard.